Optimized setup for Retriever??

Have a question related to the TinyMiner Eve Mining Bot? Ask it here!
ambiguous616
Wannabe Miner
Wannabe Miner

Optimized setup for Retriever??

Postby ambiguous616 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm not new to bots but I'm still really new to Tiny Miner. I'm also not a hugely sociable person on Eve. Just to get that out of the way.

I'm looking for some help optimizing what I am doing with maybe some reasons WHY you would choose something else for my particular setup. It seems to me that like most things I deal with in IT, the answers to what is better is generally "it depends" since everyone has their own ship with it's own options, etc. That's why I'm addressing this with MY specifics.

That being said, I have a retriever and I'm running 2 x Strip Miner 1's (1465 per 180s when mouseover) and 3x MLU1's. Despite having 24k space, I seem to be coming back with about 18K of stuff. I've watched it and I sometimes orbit out of range and drop loads and then spend time getting back in range and things like that. Sometimes while orbiting around target 1 target 2 will drop out of range and the load will drop. I have default orbit set at 7500. I am not doing ice harvesting yet and am just doing random fields.

Pertinent TM settings -
9 cycles, 2 lasers
DON'T reset lasers after each cycle (field set for 180 seconds tho)
Combat drones for defense (YAY!!! finally I can walk away)
Mid 1 only when damaged - shield booster
I'm currently testing the Warp from 200km option so the other settings are what I'm looking for, really.

Any ideas? Once again I'm looking for a brief "why" so I can learn not just keep asking every configuration change.

VanGoghGaming
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Optimized setup for Retriever??

Postby VanGoghGaming » Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 am

It should all become easier to understand once you have a firm grasp of what the various TinyMiner settings are actually doing. It may be a little overwhelming at first (mainly because people kept asking for new features throughout the years) so the options kept piling up until they couldn't fit on one screen anymore so some of them were moved in the Advanced Options window (click the Advanced Options button to see them). It helps to read the detailed description for all of them at http://www.tinyminer.com/settings.html. Also they have helpful tooltips if you hold the mouse over each option in TinyMiner!

You should definitely use the advanced option to stop orbiting once TinyMiner detects that lasers have been activated so that your ship doesn't drift out of range. Also a default orbit distance of 3500m should work best (as suggested by the tutorial). It may be better to use this setup with stopping the orbit instead of using the "Warp from 200km" option. It should shave off some wasted time in your mining session.

Even if you use the "Don't reset lasers after each cycle" option you should still use shorter "reset lasers" timers (like 30-50 seconds) since TinyMiner still checks whether one of the targeted asteroids had popped at the end of each cycle and then target a fresh one in its place so it's better to check for popped asteroids more often. Of course this will require to adjust the total number of cycles to approximate the total capacity of your Ore Hold.

If you use shield boosters you should make sure there is enough capacitor to sustain the shield booster indefinitely. In the screenshot below I have copied two Retriever setups, one with a small shield booster and the other with a civilian shield booster. In 0.8 or even 0.7 sec, a civilian shield booster should be enough to protect you from the weaker rats there and it's also very capacitor-friendly! On the other hand a small shield booster requires triple capacitor rigs to be capacitor-stable as you can see below:
Attachments
Retriever.jpg
Retriever Setups
Retriever.jpg (161.38 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
VanGogh - Power-Gamer at Large!
Power-Gamers RPG Vault - So eager to play, so reluctant to admit it...
TinyMiner - EVE Online Mining Bot - The EVE Bot Macro Miner of choice, your own ISK Printing Machine!

ambiguous616
Wannabe Miner
Wannabe Miner

Postby ambiguous616 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:40 am

That was awesomely helpful. I had read the settings page a couple of times, but it assumes a bit more knowledge on the function of a few certain things I didn't have that I've been fairly heavily researching the last couple days on about 50 sites. :) Where I was getting lost on the resetting the lasers was it wasn't clear to me what actual affect that had on yield and did it just do away with the previous 90 seconds or whatever it was doing. So if I have a 180 second cycle and if I reset them at 90 would I lose everything I from the first 90 seconds? So I just stayed away from that setting. I was trying to test out a number of things and making too many changes too quickly isn't good. I already switched to the 200km method with orbiting turned off. It is definitely working better and I haven't had the ship take off and lose yields.

One thing I did figure out in the retriever is having drones and scout drones to 3 each with a hold full of even light drones would fight off the pirates even in .5 so I got rid of the shield booster. I was having problems getting the ship to repair because even thought the windows look the same, it would click on info and crap everything up. But since I turned on /quit at severe shield damage, I just turned the repair option off.

Thanks for the targeted answers.

VanGoghGaming
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VanGoghGaming » Fri May 02, 2014 4:47 pm

I thought this goes without saying but you don't lose anything when resetting the lasers early. You gain exactly what has been mined until the moment you reset them, nothing more nothing less. The benefit of resetting early is that empty asteroids will pop thus allowing you to target fresh ones. If you mine a nearly empty asteroid (for example one that only has 1 unit of ore left in it) and you don't reset the lasers early then you waste an entire full cycle of 180 seconds to get only one unit of ore... Thus when you mine the small asteroids from high sec it is beneficial to reset the lasers much sooner than the default 3 minutes.
VanGogh - Power-Gamer at Large!
Power-Gamers RPG Vault - So eager to play, so reluctant to admit it...
TinyMiner - EVE Online Mining Bot - The EVE Bot Macro Miner of choice, your own ISK Printing Machine!

Koby5
Wannabe Miner
Wannabe Miner

Postby Koby5 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Set orbit to 2500
Cycles 58
Duration 30
Don't reset the lasers after each cycle option

TM will check every 30 sec to see if laser is active....and restart if needed
I'm usually full around cycle 57 ..so 30 sec more just for cases of roads popping early

vguch
Esteemed Miner
Esteemed Miner

Postby vguch » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Well, I use a DC II in the low slot and sacrifice a bit of yield over tank.
At the moment I use only strip miner I and I mine everything.
2 retrivers with all lv5 orca boost:

19-21 cycles (more cycles on monday and friday ^^)
cycle duration 30 sec (my machines is old and crappy, so after initiating a cycle until the next new cycle, about 30 secs pass...

I orbit the roids, have no longer 200km bookmarks (saves time in the long run) let the ships stop when lasers are active (so the ships only move when roids are out of range)

The orca boost gives me extreme bonusses to mining yield, mining range (more roids, less unproductive travelling) and tank (Yeah, FU gankers!!!).

I used to mine with mackinaws fitted with modulated strip miners II and tech2 mining crystals, but firstly, mackinaws can die to gankers and are far too expensive for the thin tank they have, secondly although there are ores that are worth more than others (yeah, everybody loves spodumain ^^)

So far, my experience is that a system where the belts are "close" enough to a station (avoid those pesky systems with zillion belts that are 80-90 AU from your station) are preferable over these large systems. Cheap retrievers are more efficient in the long run! Don't be picky, If every miner is mining pyroxeres or whatever the most valuable highsec ore is atm, the belts will be depleted soon. If all the belts are empty of pyro and you only mine pyro, TM might shut down your mining op due to all the belts being empty. Rather mine every thing.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”