Does TM work under Windows 8? (AFFIRMATIVE)

Have a question related to the TinyMiner Eve Mining Bot? Ask it here!
Lashina
Wannabe Miner
Wannabe Miner

Does TM work under Windows 8? (AFFIRMATIVE)

Postby Lashina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 am

Greetings,

I had a problem before getting tinyminer to work under windows 8 RP and CP, but now since that been a while and I got a full windows 8... was just wondering if there has been any changes so that tinyminer works under windows 8... last time I tried the program wasnt somehow allowed to move the mouse pointer.

Happy days,
Lashina
Even Though You Fall That Flesh Shall Be Made A New.

VanGoghGaming
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does TM work under Windows 8?

Postby VanGoghGaming » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Well I haven't installed Windows 8 yet but there shouldn't be any problems at all ™. Could you do me a favor, download and install the newest trial version of TinyMiner, give it a spin in your Windows 8 and report your findings back here? Much obliged! :)
VanGogh - Power-Gamer at Large!
Power-Gamers RPG Vault - So eager to play, so reluctant to admit it...
TinyMiner - EVE Online Mining Bot - The EVE Bot Macro Miner of choice, your own ISK Printing Machine!

Lashina
Wannabe Miner
Wannabe Miner

Re: Does TM work under Windows 8?

Postby Lashina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:44 pm

After a few tries on setting it up it seems work just perfecly as it should. just remember to set the cargo view to ore hold and not cargo hold :D

Thanks again VGG.

Pictures in space and in game.

In station:

instation_zps751859eb.jpg
instation_zps751859eb.jpg (191.42 KiB) Viewed 7705 times

In space:

inspace_zpsbb39af42.jpg
inspace_zpsbb39af42.jpg (198.72 KiB) Viewed 7705 times

VanGoghGaming
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does TM work under Windows 8? (AFFIRMATIVE)

Postby VanGoghGaming » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:13 am

Excellent news! Those yellow borders look awful though, I'll stick to Windows 7 for the time being seeing I only switched from XP last year, lol!

Also you need to max out your transparency in Eve General Settings (move the transparency sliders all the way to the right). You can see the background through your windows that were supposed to be fully opaque and this will cause troubles sooner or later if you don't fix it.

Your Inventory window is way too big but luckily enough the latest version v5.60.1 is smart enough to account for that and search for the Inventory window in a larger area than before. But as a general rule try to stick to what you see in the tutorial page screenshots as close as possible...
TinyMiner - EVE Online Mining Bot - The EVE Bot Macro Miner of choice, your own ISK Printing Machine!

Lashina
Wannabe Miner
Wannabe Miner

Postby Lashina » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 am

Yeah I know the yellow borders look like crap but it fits with my background picture ^^

I'll allso try and run the inventory window with compact options and see if it still works :D

Lashina
Wannabe Miner
Wannabe Miner

Postby Lashina » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Hey again,

After a a quick check with setup and setting the transparancy to 100% and inventory as compact, I ran the program for 12 hours straight... and yeah worked just fine.. but I did notice one thing... the client tries to close and reopen the cargohold everytime when running the dual client. But after manually making sure that the inventory is open and setting the program to not check if inventory is open it seems to manage just fine.

And as seen this is my setup, for both clients but the other one is minimized :D

Allso wanted to ask... will you expand the client? mean like so u can have 3 or more clients running?

Thanks alot for allt he help VGG. Love the program and love your work :D

BTW: you know u can get Win8 pro for like $50-$45. ^^ fast download and u can either upgrade or run a clean install ^^

In station:

In space:

VanGoghGaming
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VanGoghGaming » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Actually it is recommended you leave the Inventory window as shown in the tutorial page screenshots and don't mess with the cargo detection option since that's been put there only as a sanity check for people who can't read the tutorial, but it's really up to you how you want to use the program... The regular version of the Inventory window is also required if you want to use the option to add extra mining cycles if the Ore Hold is less than 80% full. That is definitely not going to work with the compact version.

I can get Windows 8 Professional for free as part of the MSDN Academic Alliance program however I choose not to install it at the moment. Windows 8 has been designed primarily for touch-enabled devices such as smart phones and tablets. Of course they needed a version for desktops and laptops too so they just got a copy of Windows 7 and slapped the Metro interface on top of it in a hurry. All in all a sloppy job. Just because it's something new doesn't necessarily make it better. Windows 7 is tried and tested, looks and works great. Why change?

Also regarding your other question I am working on the Multi-IceMiner which will be able to mine Ice with as many clients as you want at the same time.

Lashina
Wannabe Miner
Wannabe Miner

Postby Lashina » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey again,

If u got your windows 7 and ur more then happy with it... just run with it ^^ Still a few bugs in win 8 that they need to fix. which they are working on as far as I know.
I always keep the cargo hold open, its just a habit of mine. But if the program is setup the way ur telling me to keep the cargohold closed then hey maybe I should try that one out to.

Cant wait for the MIMTM (Multi-IceMiner TinyMiner) program :D

Great work as allways VGG and thx again. :D

VanGoghGaming
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VanGoghGaming » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Let me see if I can explain this in an even easier way:

1. The transparency must be maxed out at 255 (transparency sliders all the way to the right in Eve General Settings)
2. The Inventory window must always be OPEN both when docked in station and undocked in space
3. You must NOT use compact mode
4. If these three conditions are met then TinyMiner will automatically detect the cargo window and proceed normally, otherwise it will think it is closed and will try to open it by pressing Alt-C, thus causing the behavior you already described.

Hopefully all is clear now, stop trying to reinvent the wheel and read the tutorial! It doesn't mention a compact mode anywhere, wtf did you even bring it up?

RoidHoler
Established Miner
Established Miner

Postby RoidHoler » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:08 am

LOL m8, I'm surprised you kept your cool even that long. Must be mellowing out in your old age! Keep on trucking Old timer, If you ever give it all up I might have to quit playin EVE. Thanks for putting up with us idiots all these years and I wish you many more!

VanGoghGaming
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VanGoghGaming » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:09 am

RoidHoler wrote:LOL m8, I'm surprised you kept your cool even that long. Must be mellowing out in your old age! Keep on trucking Old timer, If you ever give it all up I might have to quit playin EVE. Thanks for putting up with us idiots all these years and I wish you many more!

Yeah I think you're spot on there mate, thanks for the encouragement and your kind words. You've been around for quite some time as well... I raise my beer glass to you! :D

Pickles2012
Newbie Miner
Newbie Miner

Postby Pickles2012 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:20 pm

It runs perfect under Winders 8 Pro (not a typo). If you're going to do any of this in Winders 8, get the Pro version. Seriously, don't be so cheap.

In addition, you can install a 3rd party Start menu. A good one is Start8 and it costs $4.99. Well worth it. You can find a free app for that, but again, quit being cheap. :D

VanGoghGaming
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VanGoghGaming » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Yeah that makes perfect sense, why use a perfectly fine Windows 7 when you could buy Windows 8 (that does basically the same thing but with uglier colors) and then spend more money for a Start menu that you won't use anyway... I heard they were bringing the start menu back in service pack 1 though...

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”